Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Whew...

Whew.........First day back to school with students there...I have a very interesting room this year and 3 aides/attendants, 2 that are new and the other is a treasure that has been in my room for 5 years now....I teach special education and have a boat load of kids that I will be servicing...22 to be exact. And one of them is very severe..so much so that she has a DNR, a wheel chair, splints, hand braces,...her head has to be at a 30 degree angle or her wind pipe could cut off...however, she is an absolute sweetheart...the whole 3 aides in the room is sorta sending me over the edge...my room was complete hecticness..as always on the first day of school, but... I was really nervous and worried about all of it...it is a really long story...Just me being me and freakin out for nothing...but over all it was a great day. The new group of kids did wonderful and my crew from last year just jumped right in like we did not even has summer break...that is how well I have them trained...or so I like to think ...I suppose I do run a really tight ship...my "homeroom" is 10 kids...2 girls out of that....all of my boys are on meds for ADHD, amongst other diagnoses like Autism, Aspbergers syndrome, connective tissue disorder, a shunt on the brain, and the list goes on.
The best and funniest part of the day came when my boys where lining up to go home for the day...I was passing out parent teacher notebooks to one of my kids...he is blind...I say to him "Derrick honey, here is your notebook, please put it in your back pack and then you are welcome to go"....so he stands there...I think to myself...did he not hear me???, so I say again "Derrick you are free to go now"...and in his so so so so sweet voice, (he is a 3rd grader)...he says to me "How the heck do I get out"...And then it all became so clear...to me atleast...this kid is freakin blind Stupid, his mom walked him in this morning, DUH...so we all busted out laughing and my principle who is also a great pal of mine, over hear him say this and ofcourse we all say there are so many days we ask ourselves that same question....So I take his sweet little hand and we walk out together...he says "it must have been a pretty good day, I made you laugh"....So ya it was cute, God bless my little ones, they need all the love they can get. Macee has been really good at the new babysitter...I still miss her more than I ever have....well, over and out....

1 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Oh, praise God your day went well! I prayed and will keep on for you, your aides, your students and your precious little family.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home