Monday, June 20, 2005

A chapters ending...I suppose that means a new one begins...

Went to Sidney this weekend. Well not really for the weekend. But we went on Sunday to spend some time with our families. It was great to spend time with our fathers . Chris and I have both been prevailed to have had great relationships with our fathers. They are both named "Mike"...We call Dad Dilbone, "Biff"...that was started than none other than
e. william...but Biff it is... so we spent some time with good ol Biff, and the rest of the crew..it was great. Then we headed to what I call "home". My grandparents house. It's home to me. They have been there for 32 years or so. I don't know anything else. Of all the changes etc. in our life has been crazy, but their love and friendship has only grown. They are home...it was also great spending time with my Dad. He is amazing...he is great. I love him. He is hurting now. Pray for him. It was awesome seeing our families. We are blessed.

On to the new chapter:
My dad and step mom built a new house. It is a cute house....in St.Paris Ohio. That is where my dad's new church is.
My dad's past church was in a little town called "Ridgeway", this too in Ohio. That is where I last called "home". My mom had only lived there about 9 months or so before she died. But this old farm house was sort of a dream home to her. Lots of land, wood floors, (put in by my dad and Chris), big master bedroom, bay windows...my mom never had new things. She also just made what she had "look good"...this house to her was a big deal. Well of course with all things, this too shall pass. Yes, my dad and step mom found a buyer for the house. It is sold.
So we went to work on my aunt and uncle's house. Soon to find out that my dad needed help. I felt bad for him. He has all this work to do...and no help...so we headed to Ridgeway to help him get the last bit of stuff out of the house.
I walked in to an empty house. In my mind I saw my mom standing there against the kitchen counter....smiling, waiting for me to dump my stuff down so that she could hug me. I soon had this fast forward thought of my birthday 5 days before she died. A day filled with crazy funny memories, water fights with measuring cups, and mom and I up front driving while the boys hung their heads out of the sun-roof with their hands raised in the air laughing and screaming. In my mind I smiled. I remember saying "thanks mom for a great day" we had laughed that day a lot, about me being pregnant with a "baby girl", and her being so excited about being a grandmother. She already had things all ready upstairs for her grandkids. She was going to make this "ol farm house" into a place of memories for her grandbabies. We, just a few weeks prior had painted her bedroom walls "lipstick raspberry"...purposely painting a few spots on the white ceiling...just to make Daddy crazy...wow...my mind went through all of this. Then my mind went to leaving that day. I remember hugging her as we left. Thinking to myself how fun she is, and how loved I feel. I had etched that feeling of belonging into my mind that day. Never knowing that, that would be the last time I would see her alive....I had to go and hide for a few min. today. I found myself in an empty "lipstick raspberry" masterbedroom sitting on the floor...crying. Then to find my dad doing the same. Another small piece of the journey...changing. A new chapter. I promised momma that all those things I had felt and remembered would always be a part of who I am. Those memories are mine...they are things that cannot change or be taken away. That even if we don't share daily life that we share those memories...those are all things my heart will never forget...
So in the midst of it all, I found some great treasures...some more pieces of her journey to bring "home" to make part of our journey. We are home. Yes, I call 13194 Dirlam, our home. O' what it must to be like to really go home. My heart missed Donna Rucker today.
My mind smiled to think of her.
My heart melted in the presence of my Lord while in tears
A chapter ending, a new one beginning...overall...
Time praying and thanking the Lord in the "lipstick raspberry" room...Priceless.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer from Ohio said...

I can tell that your Mom was an amazing woman both through the memories that you share and through the woman that you are. Thanks for being open. Praying for you today...

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home